Wednesday 16 October 2013

Back in the Saddle!

 Hi all , yes I'm back in the saddle again,literally and figuratively also. I have not been blogging for awhile(understatement of the year). So here I am back at it,but best of all I'm working horses again after a long dry spell, and darn it feels so good.
 It has been quite the life around here since we last visited,got the cows all calved out and my mare foaled a sweet little stud colt on the 5th of May,here is his first picture that day. I might get in trouble for this but darn he is almost better than the grandchildren for making me smile. I am getting him weaned off momma now and it all seems to be going well as he gets lots of attention from other sources. Proud to say he leads and backs up,sets his feet quite well.He gives his feet when asked and is the dog's best friend.Rope and Maggie have great fun together,running and playing. Oh and the reason his name is Rope is when he was real young he could turn himself inside out like a rope.
It has been a good summer with rain coming when needed and the coyotes did not get any calves this year, thanks be too God! Good hay crop and grain crops were pretty good considering how late seeding was this year,we had winter far to long,the guys did not get on the land until May,unlike other years where it has been April.But life is good!My 86year old mother came down again this year for the summer and enjoyed the yard,cattle,horses,dog and great grandchildren maybe not that order but something like that. Between checking pastures,haying,custom BBQ,grand kids,gardening,I got to a few horse events around here to help out,loved seeing the kids with their big smiles and big 4legged friends having so much fun.
 August 4th our youngest and her boyfriend announced their engagement, which brought on a celebration. So very happy for them, the wedding is to take place here at the farm next August.yikes!!!( I will be ready and everything will be just fine and its not about my yard or the things that don't get done,its about the love of two wonderful young people and marriage of these two, does not matter if things in the yard are not perfect.) my mantra till the wedding.Ha ha ha!
September 1, a special young woman and her three daughters,another neighbour and me went on an 8 mile ride had lunch and rode back to where we started.This ride was in memory of Erin's dad who had passed away on the first a few years back and to my Dad who passed away the same day 8years ago. Both these men had loved and worked with a lot of horses so our way to salute them.Was a great day as I learnt I do still bounce when I come off a horse at 52(,told ya Fuzzy I would).
 Well I guess I've drawled on to long already,so I be going got a couple of horses that need some work and the washing is finally done so I'm headed out.Take care and God Bless!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Granny Bob, life seems very busy for us farm girls. That little colt is so cute but I guess he's probably a handful too. They don't stay small for long.

    Congratulations on your daughter's engagement.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete